Sunday, April 3, 2016

Mind your language…..and the thoughts!


Mind your language was a very popular english serial when I was growing up in the 70s. It was one of those programs on Doordarshan that we used to keenly await every week. It was a british comedy about a language teacher trying to make a living teaching english to immigrants from India, France, China, Pakistan etc. I laughed at the gaffes in the serial then but as  I grew up, I have found that, we the people, are challenged with words even when we know the language. Maybe I should have titled the article “Mind your words”.

As I grew up I learnt from many leaders, both from the social and the spiritual spheres, that words give language to our thoughts. And as I analysed that more, I got convinced that it was one of the universal truths. And then I started having fun. Yes fun, as I could start distinguishing how language (or shall I say words) were being used as some sort of a weapon. People feel they can win a small battle (whichever one they are in at the moment) by using the right words. And some people even elevate the art by using literature. Just by manipulating the words, one cannot hide the thoughts. Here are some common examples:

Don’t feel bad, but……. (if you already know what you are about to say is going to make another person feel bad, should you say it? Those words don’t hide the sadistic thoughts behind!)

Please tell me what is my mistake….. (if you haven’t committed a mistake, why are you asking? Those words don’t hide the thought of guilt!)

It was on my mind, but….. (doesn’t hide the thought how do i get out of this situation with some face saving excuse)

Oh! you got it all wrong, I didn’t mean that…… (doesn’t hide the thought I know you are right, but if I accept, I will be wrong!)

And I can rant on many more. I am not going to go into why this happens. That we all know very well. What we don’t know is that our words are a culmination of our thoughts - which itself is due to flow of energy. Communication is not only an exchange of words, it is an exchange of Energy!  

So take it from me, you will not be able to disguise your thoughts behind your words. You can’t say “I am telling this to you, because I care for you……” when the thoughts you are radiating to the other person is -ve. Sometimes, its better to take time to question your thoughts. And I have found very often that questioning the other persons thoughts helps to guide the conversation and the thoughts on both sides in a +ve direction. 

Just a thought!


અને અહિયાં છે એનું ગુજરાતી અનુવાદ 
૧૯૭૦ માં “Mind your language” નામની ખૂબ જ લોકપ્રિય ઇંગલિશ સીરીયલ દૂરદર્શન પર અાવતી હતી. તે કાર્યક્રમ જોવા હુ આતુરતાપૂર્વક રાહ જોતો હતો. અે સીરીયલ એક બ્રિટિશ કોમેડી હતી જેમા એક શિક્ષક ભારત, ફ્રાન્સ, ચાઇના, પાકિસ્તાન વગેરેથી સ્થળાંતર થયેલા લોકો ને ઇંગલિશ શીખવવા નો પ્રયાસ કરી રહયો હતો જેનાથી ઘણા રમુજી પરિસ્થિતિ ઉત્પન્ન થતી હતી. મને સીરીયલ જોતા ઘણું હસુ અાવતુ પણ થોડા વર્ષો પછી જાણવા મળ્યું કે, લોકો ભાષા જાણવા છતા શબ્દો બોલવા મા ગડબડ કરી નાખતા હોયે છે.
જેમ જેમ મારી સમજ વધી, તેમ તેમ મને આધ્યાત્મિક ગુરુઓ પાસેથી જાણવા મળ્યું કે ભાષા વિચારને વાચા અાપે છે. અને જેમ મે અેનુ વિશ્લેષણ કર્યું, તેમ હું અે વાત થી સહમત થયો કે તે અેક સર્વમય સત્ય છે. ભાષા (કે શબ્દો) તો ખાલી અાપડા વિચારોને વ્યક્ત કરવાનુ સાધન છે. પણ મે જોયુ કે લોકો ભાષાનો (કે શબ્દોનો) હથિયાર તરીકે ઉપયોગ કરવાનુ શરુ કરી દીધુ છે. લોકોને લાગે છે કે તેઓ યોગ્ય શબ્દો નો ઉપયોગ કરીને નાના યુદ્ધ (જે તેઓ અે ક્ષણે લડી રહયા હતા) જીતી શકશે અને અેમના સાચા વિચારો દુનિયા થી છુપાવી શકશે. અને કેટલાક લોકોઅે તો અેમા સાહિત્ય નો પણ ઉપયોગ શરુ કરી દીધો. માત્ર શબ્દોની હેરાફેરી કરીને વિચારો છુપાવા શકય નથી. અેના કેટલાક સામાન્ય ઉદાહરણો છે:
ખરાબ નહી લગાડતા, પરંતુ ....... (જો તમને પહેલેથી જ ખબર છે કે તમે જે કહેવા માગો છો તેનાથી સામે વ્યક્તિ ને ખરાબ લાગે તેમ છે, તો તમારે શું કામ તે શબ્દો કહેવા છે?)
મને કહો અામા મારી ભૂલ શું ... .. (જો તમને ખબર છે કે તમારી ભૂલ છે, તો તમે ગોતીલો તે શું હશે? આ શબ્દો તમારી સાચા પુરવાર થવાની તલપ છુપાવી નથી શકતી)
ઓહ! તમે તો તે વાત નો બહુ ખોટો અર્થ લઇ લિધો ...... (હવે તો તમે પણ સમજી ગયા હશો……)
અાવા બીજા અનેક ઉદાહરણો હું અહી રજુ કરી શકુ છુ. આવું શા માટે થાય છે તેની કલ્પના કદાચ તમે કરી શકો છો. અાપણા શબ્દો અાપણા વિચારોનુ પ્રતિબિંબ છે. અને અાપણા વિચારો અેક અદ્રશ્ય અેવી ઊર્જા નો પ્રવાહ છે. બે વ્યકતિ વચે માત્ર શબ્દોની અાપલેણ નથી થતી, ઊર્જાની અાપલેણ થાય છે! 
તેથી જ વિચારોને શબ્દો પાછળ બનાવટી રીતે છુપાવવા શક્ય નથી. તમે ભલે ગમે અેટલી સારી ભાષા (કે શબ્દો) વાપરો, જો તમારા વીચારો અેનાથી અલગ હશે તો સામે વાળી વ્યક્તિ સમજી જશે. તો સારું અે છે કે તમે તમારા વિચારો તરફ ધ્યાન આપો. અને મારો અેવો અનુભવ છે કે જો અાપણે અાપણી સાથે ની વ્યક્તિ ના પણ વિચારો જાણવા માટે પ્રયત્ન કરશો તો વાતચીત કદાચ +ve દિશામાં જશે.
તો આ હતો મારો, ફક્ત એક વિચાર!

No comments:

Post a Comment